or customize the duration
Matera is a secret gem that only few travelers to Italy have the chance to see. During the centuries churches, dwellings, gardens and terraces were built one on the top of the other, digging into the rock of the local canyon walls and seeming to challenge gravity! This area – the Sassi of Matera – was named a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1993.
You can fully customize this itinerary depending on your preferences. You can change the trip duration as well as the style. You can choose experiences related to art or food or nature.
Get in touch with us and one of our local experts will help you designing your dream vacation.
What are you dreaming of?
What is included:
- Activities and guides as per day-by-day itinerary
- Transport as per day-by-day itinerary
- Some meal as per day-by-day itinerary
- 24×7 support during your trip
- A booklet created just for you with suggestions and tips
Get in touch with us for starting planning your custom-made trip.
Benvenuti in Italia! Welcome to Italy! Our professional driver will welcome you at Bari airport to take you to Matera, where your escape will start. Do you know that Matera is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world? This impressive town is a complex of cave dwellings carved into the canyon walls. The beauty, the history and the uniqueness of the place will leave you breathless. In the afternoon a local guide will lead you on a private guided journey to discover this magical place, revealing its secrets and showing you where famous directors filmed their movies. Depending on your flight arrival time and on your preference, you can do the Matera guided walk today or tomorrow.
At night you’ll sleep in one of the Sassi’s hotels. These hotels are a real wonder! From the windows, it feels like being part of nativity scene, and – inside – a high-quality and comfortable hotel room dig out from a grotto and right in the town’s historical centre.
– Matera private guided walk
– Transfer from Bari airport to Matera on private car with professional driver
Cave churches or Rupestrian churches are a wonder difficult to describe. Imagine churches dig into the stark rock, but with elegant frescoes and arches. Today our local and expert guide will take you on a journey through the time to discover this magnificent part of Matera. You will walk an easy path along the gravina (kind of canyon) where you will find these old and unique architectures. The activities will last a couple of hours during the morning and the afternoon will be at your leisure.
– Private guided tour of Rupestrian churches (approx. 2 hours)
– Private car with driver (or taxi) for transfer to Rupestrian churches and back
– Meal: breakfast
– Cooking class
– Local product, wine and olive oil tasting
– Visit to the Palombaro Lungo (a very big underground cistern with a capacity of 5 million liters)
Your tour has come to the end. We hope you’ll take home amazing memories. A private car with driver will take you to Bari airport on time to board your flight.
– Transfer from Matera to Bari airport on a private car with professional driver
– Meal: breakfast
We can arrange a transfer to any other airport, train station or city in Italy.