This is Ismael & Andrea, Tour Leaders at LocalWonders Travel. Today we would like to share a great recipe we learnt in a cooking class with our fellow travelers during one of our Small Group Tours to Italy.
Since then we can’t stop eating Tiramisu. We loving cooking it for ourselves and our friends.
In Italian TIRAMISU means “pick me up”, “cheer me up” or ”lift me up”. Indeed, eggs, coffee and cocoa are great energetic and tasty ingredients.
Ingredients for 4 people approx:
- 2 cups strong black coffee
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 250g mascarpone
- 1 large packet of sponge finger biscuits (savoiardi)
- cocoa, for dusting
- Nota bene: Use room temperature ingredients.
- Separate egg white from yolk; whip the egg whites into stiff peaks.
- Add sugar to yolks and whip as good as you can (it is not easy whip yolk into stiff peaks).
- Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat and whip until combined.
- To get the Tiramisu cream, little by little, pour the egg white into the yolk while constantly stirring.
- Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
- Arrange the finger biscuits in the bottom of a 9 inch square baking dish (or container similarly sized).
- Spoon half the Tiramisu cream filling over the finger biscuits.
- Repeat process with another layer of finger biscuits.
- Add another layer of tiramisu cream and finally sprinkle on top with cocoa.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Now it’s your turn! Then you can share the pictures of your Tiramisu on our Facebook Page.
And if you dream of an authentic and exciting Italian adventure, check our small group tours: Wonders of Norther Italy and Treasures of The Amalfi Coast and Puglia.